Real Reform In The Criminal Legal System:
In 2019, Northern Virginia voters chose change. They said they wanted to see the justice system stop criminalizing poverty, address its racial inequities, stop participating in mass incarceration, and work towards real criminal justice reform. And to do that, they elected Parisa Tafti.
Since assuming the role of Commonwealth Attorney, Parisa has made it her mission to see those reforms turned into policies – and she’s succeeding. Over the past several years the office of the Commonwealth Attorney has:
- Stopped asking for cash bail
- Successfully launched the Behavioral Health Docket
- Created fairer rules of discovery
- Promoted a divisionary system for Juvenile offenders
- And continued the essential work of moving towards restorative justice
When we started this campaign, Parisa promised to adopt thoughtful, data-driven policies that would keep our communities safe, improve the justice system, and make our Northern Virginia a better place to live – and she’s just getting started.